Thursday, April 23, 2009

Fresh Broccoli-Mandarin Orange Salad

*my kids NEVER eat salad (I am sad to say) but I LOVE this salad, especially for the hot summer months! Basically any salad recipe I get from my mom is AMAZING and this is no exception!

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 1/2 t cornstarch
1/4 c tarragon vinegar
3 T butter
4 c fresh broccoli florets
1/2 c slivered almonds
1 can (11oz) mandarin oranges
1/2 c sugar
1 t dry mustard
1/4 c water
1/2 c mayonnaise
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
fresh spinach (one large bag)

In top of double boiler, whisk eggs, sugar, cornstarch and mustard. Combine vinegar & water, slowly add to egg mixture and whisk constantly. Place over hot water and cook, stir constantly until mixture becomes thick. Remove from heat and stir in butter and mayo. chill. 10-12 servings.

No comments: