Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Cedar Maiden Fry Bread

Just so you all know Cedar Maiden is my Hopi name, when I was just a young sprout my parents took me to the Hopi reservation and my Great Grandfather gave me the name in a little ceremony. It is pronounced Ho-kwap-nim in Hopi (I am not totally sure if it is spelled this way but this is how you say it) My mom is Pinon Maiden, my brother Cody is Pile of Wood (exciting huu?) and my youngest brother is Fire Spark (very cool) Since I married a non-Indian my children will not receive a name because I am the bare minimum of Hopi (1/4) that can be admitted to the tribe. Okay, on the the recipe. Now....I have a family fry bread recipe but I found one from Emeril online that is really good & easy. So, I guess you can say that I am a drugstore Indian.....is that like a rhinestone cowboy??
Indian Fry Bread
2 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
1 T veggie oil (and more for frying)
3/4 c warm water
mix ingredients, turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until dough is elastic and comes together. Shape into a ball and put in plastic bag or plastic wrap and keep in refrigerator for one hour.
Divide dough into 10 equal pieced (less if you would like larger breads) Roll out into a circle, make as thin as possible. Poke a hole in the center and in a frying pan filled with HOT veggie oil (I use about 3 cups) The oil is suppose to be 360*....I wait until I can drop the dough right in and its starts to fry (use a small piece of dough to check) cook for about 2 minutes flipping once. Drain on paper towels.
For a dessert sprinkle with powdered sugar and honey.
For a vegetarian meal top with pinto beans (whole beans or re fried) shredded lettuce, tomatoes, grated cheese and you have yourself an Indian Taco.

2 comments:

Sonnet said...

Thats cool. If remembering going to an idian festival with you & your mom & trying new foods. Thats a fun memory for me. Ill have to try this!

Laura said...

I love your Yummy tummies! It is so cute! I am definitely going to try the recipes on here. Thanks for sharing, Fawn!

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving!